[Public-List] Companionway Lock

laserandy at aol.com laserandy at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 05:23:55 PDT 2008

Peter,

The way I've normally seen the flat stainless bar you describe involves the flat bar, a stainless fastpin with a large splitring for your finger, a socket for the fastpin, and ordinarily there's a stainless plate that surrounds the slit cut in the top hatchboard.?

The socket for the fastpin is installed on the underside of the slider.? The bar is drilled at both ends, one end for the lock, the other for the fastpin.? When you're sailing, you remove the bar and fastpin so that they don't injure anyone.? When you're ready to leave the boat, you put the fastpin through the bar and into the socket, orient the bar pointing aft, put the hatchboards in, and when you slide the slider aft, the bar slots through the slit.? Everything has to be just right or it won't align.

I think this is standard equipment for J/24s, you might check to see if there is a source for a kit with everything properly measured.? I would start on the APS website, I think they carry a lot of J/24 specific gear.

Andrew
Andante - 152