[Public-List] Bacons

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Aug 19 16:02:36 PDT 2008

Patricia O. Meinhold wrote:
> We've had good luck with Bacon's when looking for things other than
> sails: anchor, kids' foul weather gear, galley items, books, etc.
>
> The only drawback is their hours -- something like 9:30-5p during the
> week, 3 hours Sat. mornings in the summer.  I'm not sure they're open on
> Saturdays past the boat shows in Annapolis through mid-October.

Yes, but they're pretty knowledgeable.  (Or they were in the past, I
haven't dealt with them recently.)  Jibs are a lot more interchangeable
with the A30 than mainsails.  I suspect you could call them and ask if
they have a sail suitable for an Alberg 30 working or storm jib, and
they could give good recommendations.  Or you might want to decide in
advance on the approximate dimensions and cloth weight you want.

When we first bought Calypso, she was missing a spinnaker pole.  We
stopped in at Bacon's and they knew the A30 J dimension from memory, and
had a 3" diameter pole that was only one inch shorter.  I was very
impressed.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.