[Public-List] Alcohol Stove

zira at bellsouth.net zira at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 4 10:12:13 PDT 2008

Bill -

If you are serious about cooking on board, go propane.  We're not that serious, so we went Origo.  The cut out on our boat had been enlarged in the past so I had to actually shim it in to make the flush-mount model fit.  I had a free-standing model on a previous boat if you don't want to cut into your counter any.  Both should fit well and work great (for an alcohol stove, that is).  If you do mount one down into the counter, be aware that the out-of-sight portion of he unit appears to be galvanized steel, not stainless.  This has not been a problem for us over the ~15 years we have had it.

I too use a smal one-burner camping stove in the summer time to heat water for coffee, etc. although mine is an old Optimus that burns Colman fuel.

David Swanson
Strayaway Child
Alberg 3o #229