[Public-List] Taffrail

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 14 05:46:59 PST 2008

Hello gents,

  Because the top board will be made from three or so pieces I would suggest that they could be joined in such a way that they would compensate for the curve on the deck/boards below them. Sand or plane after adhesion to achieve a uniform curve. Before you wish to screw to the lower boards consolidate them, if they are punky, with a penetrating epoxy or some such other adhesive to strengthen them.  Or as an option clamp using weights on top of the top board, instead of using screws.

  To John I would like to see photos and dimensions of your original 'ventillated' taffrail  sometime.  I would like to convert mine sometime and don't know exactly how the rail was fabricated.  I wonder if Whitby eventually changed to the solid taffrail because the turning blocks for the spinnaker sheets are attached to the aft corners of the taffrail.  I wonder if they had problems with the pressure of the sheet blocks damaging the open design of the 'ventilated' taffrail?

  Michael