[Public-List] mast beams and bulkheads and floor timbers, oh my

Andrew M Shaw andymshaw at juno.com
Sun Feb 24 14:43:26 PST 2008

Hi Folks,

I am tackling the project of  removing/replacing the port bulkhead under
the mast beam in order to rebuild the floor timber below the bulkhead,
The floor is somewhat  "stove in' for lack of a better term at the foot
of the bulkhead.

So far I've removed all fasteners from the bulkhead and jacked up the
deckbeam to relieve the stress on the bulkhead. The bulkhead is free
everywhere but where it fits into the slot in the underside of the
deckbeam where it is well stuck . Is there a chance of pulling it out in
1 piece or do I need to cut it away and then get the last piece out? It
seems to be stuck in there real good, maybe some adhesive sealant up
there?  Help!

I would also appreciate any thoughts on rebuilding the floor timber. I
thought I remembered a good thread on this a while back but haven't been
able to track it down.

Cheers,
                Andy
                #477  'Savannah Rose'
                St. Mary's River, MD

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging
sails.
There are faraway places and the ever changing light, and the silence,
and a
great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Ferenc Maté