[Public-List] the bow speech

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 16:19:09 PST 2008

I don't know how many of y'all read sailing anarchy (www.sailinganarchy.com),
but I found this posted on their front page yesterday and it's too good to
miss...especially for those of us out there who have spent time working the
pointy end of the boat...I'm talking to you Meinhold! (I think it's of
interest both to racers and to the general public list, so I sent it to
both):

*Post of the Week*

*The Bow Speech *

Bowman (Jack): You want answers?
Crew Boss (Tom): I think I'm entitled to them.
Bowman: You want answers?
Crew Boss: I want the truth!

Bowman: You can't handle the truth! Son, we race on a boat that has head
sails. And those head sails have to be set and doused by men with harnesses.
Who's gonna do it? You? You, Mr. Trimmer? I have a greater responsibility
than you can possibly fathom. You weep for that spin halyard and you curse
the foredeck. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what
I know: that spin halyard's death, while tragic, probably won the race. And
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins races...You
don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at
the beer tent, you want me on that bow. You need me on that bow.

We use words like "gybe-set", "Mexican", "floater"...we use these words as
the backbone to a life spent achieving something. You use 'em as a
punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to
an afterguard that race and win under the very mark roundings I provide,
then questions the manner in which I provide them! I'd rather you just said
"thank you" and got me a rum drink. Otherwise, I suggest you go down below
and pack a 'chute. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're
entitled to!

Crew Boss: Did you order the Samurai douse?

Bowman: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.

Crew Boss: Did you order the Samurai douse?

Bowman: YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID!!!
Ooo-rah, bow people!