[Public-List] wash stand in the head

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 4 08:57:07 PST 2008

Dave,

  Sorry I can't remember for certain.  I believe that there is a metal ring support around the circumference of the Stainless Steel basin.  This ring is fastened to the aft bulkhead with a sort of hinge/lock arrangement that allows the basin to be lowered and locked so it does not lower past 90 degrees to the bulkhead.  My basin is just that, it has no drain.  When finished you lift out of the support ring and empty, where ever.  When folded up against the bulkhead there is a simple clip to hold in place in the stored position.  If I remember correctly the basin looks just like a SS salad bowl or mixing bowl.  That said it would be a great source for a replacement wash basin. K-Mart or Walmart both sell SS mixing bowls of about the same size, approx.12-14" in diameter and about 6" deep.

  When I get back to the boat this spring I will check it out and also take some photos for George and the CBAA Web Site.

  Anyway my comment about keeping it folded and locked up during rough weather is that I would suspect that it would pose some danger of injury while trying to use the head.  The head area is small and I can't see using both at the same time. Maybe Whitby installed these as a concession to potential buyers who wanted such on board.  They are so basic in function it is almost like camping on board.  But it does serve the purpose, albeit in a rather Spartan fashion.

  Sounds like your knee replacement went well and that you had the choice not do have it done during sailing season.  Have a speedy recovery.

  Thanks also for the information on the bronze fittings.  I have three boats which all have bronze fittings and from time to time I will need replacements.

  Michael
  Lorrie Rose #133

Dave Terrell <dterrell at message.nmc.edu> wrote:
  Mike

How does yours fold up? It sounds like there the basin was installed differently in different boats.

I have not forgotten about the Alden 30 parts. the owner is not the easiest guy in the world to get cooperation from. I wont give up on this.

David

>>> Michael Connolly 01/03/08 9:56 AM >>>
Dave,
Geroge is correct, width is an issue. Rough seas are another issue. I would fold up the wash basin if I were to sit on the seat of the head, BTW I ain't that wide either............
Michael

George Dinwiddie wrote:
Dave Terrell wrote:
> George, When
>
> I reengineer mine, I will be glad to contribute my solution. From the
> picture, it appears that the basin rests in a frame attached to the
> bulhead. If this correct, what impact does this have on seated vists
> to the head.

It depends on how wide you are. :-)

- George

When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
I think how evening follows morn; gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
So many I loved were not yet dead, http://www.Alberg30.org
So many I love were not yet born.
'The Middle' by Ogden Nash