[Public-List] Removal Of A4 Engine beds

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 15:48:14 PST 2008

You should be able to cut down to the inner surface fairly easily.  I would cut the old beds up a bit from the hull, then grind down to a fair surface.  Say about a half inch.  Read http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Diesel/YanmarInOlderBoats.html

Today I would use a 4 inch angle grinder for the cuts.  Back then they were not part of the handy man's home/boat destruction kit.  For my last repower I found the Lancelot very helpful in slicing fiberglass. http://www.katools.com/lancelot.html

Use all the necessary protective devices and masks.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
Thomas Jefferson