[Public-List] Windows and Lexan

Elyse Pastor elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 2 17:55:57 PDT 2008

Hello to all of you
So far - we are having a great summer with fair winds and good racing here
in Montreal and life could not be better.
I am still evaluating the materials for the replacement of the windows and I
am aware of the pro's and cons of Lexan and Plexi. I had also a chat with my
supplier and he suggested to me to take Lexan MR10 with Margard II Coating.
On paper it really looks good. UV protected, abrasion resistant  and 15
years warranty against yellowing.
Did anyone make some experience with this material. I would consider (and
was suggested to me) to take 1/4".
(EXERPT FROM USPLASTICS WEB SITE)
Lexan* MR10 Sheet with Margard* II Coating
Lexan* MR10 sheets improved Margard® II coating resists abrasion and defies
graffiti to ensure a “like-new” appearance for many years to come. The next
generation of UV absorbers, Margard® coating now incorporates enhanced UV
absorbers to protect the sheet from the debilitating effects of sunlight. As
a result, Lexan* MR10 is accompanied by extended warranties that are your
assurance of long term product performance; 10 yr. prorated replacement
warranty against breakage, yellowing, abrasion, loss of light transmission
and coating delamination.^ 15 year warranty against yellowing and light
transmission for qualified dual glazed systems.** Virtually unbreakable.
High light transmission common to all Lexan* sheet products. Easily
maintained without marring, hazing, or yellowing. Compiles with major model
building codes. Dade county approved material.† Recommended by GE for use in
residential vertical glazing applications. The ideal glazing for high
traffic and high impact areas such as: educational institutions, psychiatric
hospitals, storefronts and windows, low-level physical attack areas,
entrance doors and patios, hurricane protection, railings and sound
barriers. Will withstand -40° to 180° continuous and 220°F short term with
no load.

Thanks for your inputs and happy sailing
Bruno & Elyse