[Public-List] Mast Beam Variation

Theodore M. Liszczak tedliszczak at metrocast.net
Fri Jul 11 17:07:58 PDT 2008

This is a question relating to the mast beam but not exactly. As we all
know the glue that Whitby used to laminate the strips of wood that form
the mast beam eventually fails. This is expected after 40 years. This
leads to mast beam and deck sagging. This leads to problems in rigging
and front door closure. That issue has been addressed by the Maintenance
Section and comment from Alberg owners quite well.  On my A-30, Freedom
hull number 345, now 40 years old, the mast beam is not visibly
delaminating.  But the solid wood section in front of and adjacent to
the mast beam is dropping from the ceiling.  It is the wood stringer
that separates the head from the fore cabin. In my A-30 it is what the
fore cabin door hits preventing the door from closing. I have forced it
up with a rubber mallet; it helps with the door closure but not
completely. I do not want to jack it up, drill through it and attach it
to the now functional mast beam, for fear of delaminating or splitting
the wood strips that the mast beam is made of. Has any one had the same
problem? And is there a remedy?

Ted Liszczak
Freedom
Hull # 345