[Public-List] magnetic fuel conditioning

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 07:03:07 PDT 2008

Can anybody reading this list make a statement about magnetic fuel
conditioning? Is this stuff for real or is it quackery? I have done a
bunch of reading online about it, and I can't seem to find much in the
way of impartial and high quality sources of information. I have heard
some respectable people say it's legit, but I have yet to hear anyone
lay out a well-reasoned argument for why. It smacks of quackery to me,
and if there were not so many people apparently using it I would
reject it out of hand. However, its persistent presence gives me
pause.

If you want to read up on what I'm talking about, here are some links:

http://www.diesel-fuels.com (granted, a vendor website, so biased).

In particular, http://www.diesel-fuels.com/algae-x/how-it-works/theory.html
has a several page summary of the 'theory' most of which is suspicious
in my opinion.

Also, there is this:

http://www.denninger.net/snake-oil-1.htm

And this:

http://www.dakare.com/HylasSpecs/fuel.htm

And this:

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/article.jsp?ID=21014402

Which appear to be impartial, however, there is no real causal proof
(at least not that I am seeing) that MFC's actually do anything to
improve fuel quality.

In reality, the 200GPH MFC from Algae-X is under $200 which is not
that expensive if it lives up to its promise of dramatically improving
fuel clarity and quality. However, if it's a useless boondoggle and
the real work is all done by the filters and purifier, then I'd just
as soon leave it off.

Thoughts welcome.

J Bergquist

PS. In case you didn't guess I am building a fuel polishing system. I
am done having suspicious fuel. I'll put up pix and diagrams when I am
done with it.