[Public-List] Orioles Cruise

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 07:22:46 PDT 2008

Aight I am sorry for my much-delayed report on last weekend's
(weekend-before-last's by now...) Orioles Cruise. It's a busy time for
me right now.

The weekend started off with a bang-up breeze on sail over to Swan
Creek on Friday night. We had pretty consistently 15-20 kts out of the
south. I was late leaving Annapolis, so we missed the moonrise, but we
were treated to a beautiful full moon sail over. Tim Williams and his
family came out and rendezvous-ed with us for a little full moon
sailing action, complete with plenty of whoops and hollers from the
kids. The ride into Swan Creek was long but uneventful as I don't
think anybody found the earth. As it was my first time going there, I
was kind of nervous and very careful about the navigation but it all
worked out in the end.

Saturday morning we were up bright and early for a swim and we found
several other boats in the anchorage. The Meinholds, Bob Leigh, the
Carter family with their Vanguard, Ralph Bluntschli, and the Lehmans
were all there. Around 11 AM we all left and had another blast of a
sail across the bay and up the Patapsco river. Once again we were
treated to a 15 knot southerly which was refreshing and enjoyable! Pam
and I gave the Meinholds a run for their money, passing them on the
way out of Swan Creek and continuing to extend our lead across the bay
and into the Patapsco. They couldn't catch us even after they turned
on the iron genny! Maybe it was the fresh clean bottom...???

Arriving in the harbor, we all tied up at the inner harbor marine
center and got to work socializing and getting ready for the baseball
game (which for me meant doing boat work that I hadn't quite finished
up while out of the water...). Matt Greenhouse and his family arrived
by boat. Towney and Joan also came up to meet us, along with Dave
Swanson and his family up from North Carolina. George Dinwiddie was
there as well as Sandy Dapkunas and his family. It was a right large
group ambling over to Camden yards for the game. I am sure I missed
someone, and if so I am really sorry. It was a great, and large group.
Give us a shout if I left you out of the roll call.

The game itself was one of the better games I have been to see. There
was a great ebb and flow of action through the course of it, as we saw
the Orioles get down 7-2 in the first inning. Then they battled back
and were in the lead 9-7 but the Tigers went up 10-9 in the 8th
inning. The O's tied the game in the bottom of the 9th but could not
make the win so it went to the 10th inning which saw an excellent
defensive throw out at home plate to prevent the Tigers from going
ahead in the top of the 10th. Finally, Ramon Hernandez hit a deep home
run that landed on Eutaw St. in the bottom of the 10th to win the
game. It was great. After the game we all went back to the boats for
another round of socializing and libations. It all gets a little fuzzy
after that...

Sunday morning we all went to get breakfast in Baltimore which was
excellent, and were gone by 11 AM again. The sail home was equally
enjoyable with YET ANOTHER 20 knot southerly which produced a
beautiful sail home. Yes, it was a beat, but it was glorious.

All agreed that going to the O's cruise in July at a time when the O's
are NOT playing the Yankees was a good call.

Many thanks to Trish Lehman for organizing this event! Great job, Trish!

Next event is the Summer Rendezvous and Commodore's Champagne Party
coming up this weekend at 1700 on 8/2 at Paula Binder's house on Spa
Creek in Annapolis. I unfortunately cannot make that, but I am sure
it's going to be a lot of fun!

--
J Bergquist