[Public-List] Rig Tuning

Elaine & Brian Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sat Jul 5 06:25:48 PDT 2008

From: "Dave Terrell" <dterrell at message.nmc.edu>

> One thing remains a little mysterious to me. Many people put somewhat less
> tension on the lowers, particularly the aft lowers. If my eyes can be
> trusted, I think the having the aft lower tensioned like the forward lower
> has pulled the mast a little aft at the spreaders. I am going to reduce
> the lower shroud tension a bit and see what happens. I am interested in
> what others say on this issue.

Dave,
  Rig dynamics make it desirable to have less tension on the lower aft
shrouds. It makes it sort of "self adjust" for higher wind speeds.
  As the wind picks up, the forces on the main sail increase. This pushes on
the mast. If the aft lowers have less tension, the middle of the mast will
flex forward a bit. This will flatten the shape of the main sail, which is
exactly what you want when the wind increases. (just don't go too far with
this practice).
Brian
ex#497