[Public-List] Exposed Iron Keel

James McRury jdmcrury at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 18:33:54 PDT 2008

Hi All

While beginning to clean out the bilge in my A30 #124, I noticed that the iron keel just aft of the main cabin bulkhead is mostly exposed, with the 2 inches of tabbing around the edge of the exposed keel also having separated from the keel.  I was unable to view the rest of the keel aft of that (due to some time constraints).

  Shouldn't the keel be glassed in completely along the entire length?  Has anyone else come across exposed keel?  It looks like the original configuration, besides the detached, flaking fibreglass tape/tabbing..

Any suggestions to fixing this?  I'm thinking that the solution would entail grinding away the flaking tape down to solid glass, and then glassing in the top.  I'll admit that I'm a noob to all of this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can post pictures later this week after I take them (I won't be down again until the weekend.)

Thanks.

James McRury
#124.