[Public-List] (no subject)

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Thu Jul 17 09:45:24 PDT 2008

Hi Folks,

I wish y'all would stop talking about rudders because I am afraid good old #148 has similar problems.  My anticipated, highly elegant, solution was to have a 12' sweep oar on board (don't ask me where I would put it but I actually do have one) that I could lash to the back stay and use as a temporary rudder in case my suspect original had issues at sea (since many problems come in pairs, I have been watching old movies set in Venice to observe gondolier sculling techniques in case the engine goes at the same time).  With all of this discussion, I might have to pull my head out of the sand and address the problem.  After all I guess it's kinda important to have the good old #148 rudder working well.

I have similar seepage as described by others but, of greatest concern, is the rudder post seems to be crooked; IE, when heading straight, the front of the tiller is about 5" to left of centerline (it took me two hours of motoring in wide circles to figure out how to adjust my steering technique so I could hold my course).  I did learn a past owner managed to put her on the rocks years ago and, apparently, the rudder was involved in the mishap.  The next owner, who sold me the boat, had the rudder freeze while under way but it wasn't the rudder's fault.  The prop shaft broke, slid aft and jammed the rudder in hard right turn position (who'd-a-thunk-it).

Someone also modified the shape of the rudder so it now has a concave trailing edge and a flat, extended bottom.  It is the last picture in the "Rudder Varieties" section on the A30 site (http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/RudderVarieties/) with the following comment provided, "This is a non-standard rudder--not built by Whitby.  At one time Carl Alberg drew a sketch of a squared-off rudder for the Alberg 30, but I don't think any were produced that way. This one was probably the product of a previous owner of the boat".  Here's my take.  I call it the "turn on a dime rudder mod".  Be forewarned, don't enter into any "turning duels" with good old #148 unless, of course, you have a bow thruster then, the joke's on me.

I suppose now that the rudder has been out of the water for five years and, therefore, really, really dry, it would be a good time do some investigative demolition.  As evidenced by the seepage, I probably have some voids and it would be worthwhile to know if the new shape is an add-on (likely) or the rudder was replaced.  The "crooked tiller" issue is perhaps the greatest mystery as I imagine considerable force would be required to torque the shaft enough to permanently bend it.  If that is the case, it's logical the connection between shaft, metal cage/fingers and the body of the rudder has loosened, ugh.  Anyway, I will continue to read with great interest your valuable and timely postings. Rachel - please don't, stop; no, I mean - please, don't stop; George is overworked and underpaid and imminently forgivable.  Besides, I will likely have many questions for our future, highly experienced experts.

All the best,

Roger 148

PS - Is it time for a "name the J (Bergquist)" contest?  I can start by throwing out - Joseph; From Iosephus, the Latin form of Greek Ιωσηφος (Iosephos), which was from the Hebrew name יוֹסֵף (Yosef) meaning "he will add".

Roger Kingsland, Managing Partner
Kingsland Scott Bauer Associates

KSBA

Architects/Planners/InteriorDesigners/ProjectManagers

3441 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
N 40° 27.8344'  W79° 57.9831'

412-252-1500 ext.101