[Public-List] Mast Beam Variation

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Mon Jul 21 16:58:55 PDT 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Jonathan Adams wrote:

> My beam ...  was a new (less than 20 yrs) laminated wood Beam...

> I have the alloy beams and big half inch bolts - I feel better :) this
> way. If I wanted to keep the wood, just replace a few internal layers
> of lamination with the alloy plates.

It sounds like maybe your "new" beam was laminated with the "slices" of
wood oriented vertically (?)  The original beams (at least mine and
others I've seen photos of) were laminated with the "slices"
horizontally, like a Dagwood sandwich.  So it wouldn't be
(structurally) much help to replace interior layers with aluminum.  I
say that because I don't think the aluminum would have much structural
value if it were lying in the direction.  I think it works because it
creates an "I beam" when it's bolted through the original beam, with
one sheet on each side.

It might be a neat option for a beam that was laminated the other way
though.  Just make a beam with the slices oriented vertically and then
you could arrange them wood-aluminum-wood-wood-wood-aluminum-wood.
Middle number of wood slices to appropriate overall thickness.

Rachel