[Public-List] Folkboat roots of the A30

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Jul 31 06:27:07 PDT 2008

Right on J

The Folkboat is a 'One-Design' - so variances between Swedish and Danish and
even Canadian-built boats should be very minor... Mostly in cabin and
cockpit layouts.

There are good clips on youtube of Folkboat sailing...and also on the San
Francisco Folkboat Association site.

I pine for TOUCH WOOD (she is not is sailing condition now) but one thing
that picture does is remind me of why we went to the A30.  Yes the Folkboat
was closer winded, stiffer, stronger, maybe a better seaboat...but:  in the
photo Caroline is standing in the companionway with her feet on the cabin
sole illustrating only sitting headroom below decks.  We never stopped
chasing deck leaks. TW used to leak in her garboards when driven hard in
heavy seas.  The cockpit was deep enough to stand in waist deep...but was
not self-bailing; anything that came in went down through the gratings into
the bilge.   I grew to dislike groveling on my knees on the stern playing
with the outboard. Etc etc