[Public-List] Mast Beam Variation

Matthew Hay haymatthew_ at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 19 07:10:35 PDT 2008

In #314 there is a four by four? (or smaller?) of hard wood glassed in on the foc'sle side of the laminate directly under the mast acting as the mast beam.  It has never sagged and I have always trusted it.  From the main saloon looking forward the wood work appears to be original untouched laminate.  But when looking from the foc'sle aft you see the glassed in four by four? supporting the mast.  When I purchased the boat there was a piece of wood with coat hooks covering the job (from the foc'sle side) for aesthetics which I removed to inspect the beam.  Silly place to hang coats so I have left it off providing me with the ability to watch the beam in action.  The cabin doors open and shut perfect in all kinds of humidity, and the beam seems more then sufficient and solid.  I guess by using a solid four by four? you eliminate the worry of epoxy and lamination?  I can take pictures if you would like.  Mr. Hilliard possibly would be another Alberger who has seen this beam replacement on #314.  Perhaps he can help with an alternative description?  I am probably missing some details of this variation.  Maybe it is two pieces laminated and I can not make it out through the glass?  If anyone has interest I can send photos and try to answer questions with a further inspection.  Just out of curiosity do many of you troll while underway?  At the Alberg cruising speed I have had good success with bluefish!!

Best wishes,
Matthew #314 1969 Renard