[Public-List] Lazy Jack Advice

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Wed Jun 4 08:54:13 PDT 2008

John,

I had some rigging work done a number of years ago that included
installation of the Harken system.  I am not sure if they followed
Harken's suggested attachment points or not,  but I found it necessary to
move the location of the aft jackline point forward from about 75% aft of
the gooseneck to a little aft of 50%.  There was not  much sail at the 75%
point and I found that a lot of sail was falling off the boom in the
middle.  I did not touch the forward point which is about 3' aft of the
gooseneck.

If you plan to install a system with only two attachment points I would
suggest that you play around with the locations to best suit the size and
shape of our mainsails.  The two part system works great for my needs and
is especially useful when singlehanding.

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433
Mathews, VA.