[Public-List] WNR

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 06:37:34 PDT 2008

Folks,

Yesterday, I finally managed to make it out for a wednesday night race.
Having been on travel for the past 5 weeks really put a cramp in my sailing
style. The upshot is that you're getting a report. Sorry to say, but once
again this is going to be THE VIEW FROM THE BACK as we got our clocks
cleaned last night.

Conditions were light to extremely light southeasterly breeze and it was all
about finding pressure on the course. Current was running out of the river
and creek so the sail out was faster than the sail back in. The course was
A1 with a very short (less than 1 mile I think) windward leg out to the drop
mark. The pin was very favored at the start, a fact which was lost on me
until about 2 minutes prior to the start as we were lining up on the boat
when I said to my crew 'boy it really looks like the right plan would have
been to start on port at the pin' and he said back to me 'yeah, I told you
that 3 times like 10 minutes ago'. Don't know how I managed to either not
hear him or ignore what he said, but it cost us dearly as our start was
abysmal.

Jonathan Adams came out and played guest helmsman on our boat and overall he
did a great job. It was a disappointing start that we never really were able
to recover from.

The good news is that Harry Gamber won the race, which is his first bullet
of the season, and we should all congratulate him on that achievement! Way
to go, Harry! Harry had the best start at the favored pin end and never
looked back. For a while I thought Tim might have passed him at the windward
mark with some better spinnaker handling and running in the high lane, but
Harry made it look easy holding onto his lead at the gybe mark and heading
high into the harbor. We spoke with Harry after the race as he swung by SSA
to drop off a sail for Mike M and he said that Tim did manage to give him a
scare by diving into the mooring field and coming back out on starboard but
that he was fortunately able to hold off the attack.

Tim W got 2nd and TC got 3rd. We finished in a (very!) distant 4th.

Jonathan and Andrew are both rumored to be registering for the series any
day now. Although I love having Jonathan as guest helmsman (and Andrew
you're welcome any time too!) I would love even more to see him out there
racing against us!

Full results (I'm almost embarrassed to send you there to look at them) are
at:

http://race.annapolisyc.com/uploads/results/2008_Wednesday_Night_Races_Series_1-2008/2008_Wednesday_Night_Series_1.html

We'll do it all again next week 1835 and don't be late!

JB

--
J Bergquist