[Public-List] Sooke Harbor to Barkely Sound route?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Mon Jun 30 20:31:06 PDT 2008

Greetings, NW Albergers,

In considering a trip to Barkley Sound on the W side of Vancouver Is.
   from Bellingham, a routing question comes to mind. Perhaps some of
   you would have suggestions to offer.

We attempted this trip a couple of years back from the S. end of Lopez
   Island. Wrong tides and wrong winds-- OK, and I DID get a little
   seasick, too-- conspired against us and we gave it up. How could we
   make it the near-90 miles from Sooke to Bamfield in those
   conditions?

   There seem two main routes:

1.  Sooke (or thereabouts) to Port San Juan to Bamfield/Ucleulet

2. Port Angeles to ------ (isn't there a little duck-in overnight
possibilitiy before getting to..... ) ....Neah Bay to
Bamfield/Ucleulet

GIven that our boats are slow, is there a route that's usually
   preferred for a summer trip?
Customs regulations aren't as big of a concern for now. (we can figure
   that out, I think-- Ucleulet is the only check-in, as I understand
   it at this time, but may be different with our NEXUS passes).

   Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Many Thanks,
Randy Katz
Bellingham/Seattle, WA.