[Public-List] Cockpit combings

MOIRAEIII at aol.com MOIRAEIII at aol.com
Fri Jun 13 08:06:47 PDT 2008

In a message dated 6/13/2008 8:55:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
haymatthew_ at hotmail.com writes:

Hi everyone happy summer!!  I have taken off my combings and Cetoled them.
Now I have to put them back on and can not remember if I am to reattach the
winch supports to the combings first and then put the combings on or put the
winch brackets on after the combings are back on?  I guess the Cetol fumes
effected my short term what??  Oh memory --- right?
Thank you and happy classic!!
Matthew Hay
Renard #314

Matt,
In years past I kept the brightwork varnished on MOIRAEIII (hull #283). It
was an annual event and I was happy to spend winter months in my basement
stripping and sanding and applying about 6 coats of spar or captains or whatever
varnish I thought might look best and last longest. Years later I tried Cetol
Light. Cetol is best!
Perhaps I was, and still am, a bit anal with aligning the slotted screw heads
vertical and backing all the fittings with washers, and filleting the putty
into the combing to deck void. My winch bases are fiberglass mounts each with 8
machine screws, 2 on the combing and 6 through the deck. After mounting the
combing and filleting the void I would carefully coat the bottom of the winch
base with silicon, set the base and loosely fit all winch screws, washers and
nuts. Tighten the screws on the combing and then the base to deck screws.
Install the cockpit seats and sit back and admire my handiwork.
With the Cetol, I lightly sand the area that needs attention and apply the
necessary coats of Cetol. No disassembly required. I love it. More especially,
my wife loves it! Nuff said.
Fair winds,
Capn Randy