[Public-List] Fresh Water Tank

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Tue Jun 17 05:52:59 PDT 2008

Bill

I had the same problems a number of years ago.  I found that the metal plate covering the water tank was leaking and aluminum particles were falling into the water. I removed the metal plate, made a duplicate from "plastic lumber" and installed it. I also installed an inspection port.  I caulked the new tank cover as if there would be no tomorrow and the problem went away. I also so had cracks and gave them a serious epoxy coating. I use water for washing. I think it is ok for drinking but am not absolutely sure.  The "research" I did on whether the epoxy would leach into the water supply led me to believe that this option was not likley. You might check this out. I think others may comment on this issue.

The fix is descibed on the web site, but I can not give the precise citation at this time. I took detailed pictures of the process and intended to send them to George, but did not - my digital pictures were very primitive at that time. I am reasonably sure I can share the pictures now and would be glad to do so now.

David, Scholarship II, 432.

>>> "William Newman" <newman423 at sympatico.ca> 06/16/08 5:09 PM >>>
My Alberg, #233, Marion Rose, has a glassed in fibreglass tank, under the v-berth, glassed to the hull and seems to be an integral part of the structure and furniture forward.  When I bought the boat 11 years ago it had been laid up for 9 years.  The tank had no access or inspection port.  I cut an inspection port in the tank under the small V-seat and found  a plastic bladder liner which was black with mold.  I removed it, cleaned it and rinsed the tank several times with bleach.  The gelcoat on the tank looked pristine so I have used it for several years as the freshwater tank, not for drinking or cooking, just for washing.  Last season it started to leak a little leaving a small amount of water on the hull in the V.  This year it is doing the same and there is a fine crack in the gelcoat of the tank down the centre seam and it seems some very small surface cracks, crescent shaped on some of the rest of the bottom.  The inspection port is about 6 inches so does not permit a

  lot of access.  The only practicall solution I see is to install another bladder which doesn't have much appeal since you can't really get inside to clean them and I am sure they will start to leak in a fairly short time.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and come up with a more creative solution?  Any information will be appreciated.

Bill Newman
Marion Rose III, #233