[Public-List] Calling all Georgian Bay A30's

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Jun 19 07:31:40 PDT 2008

Good day -

A number of years ago a few boats from the Midland Bay Sailing Club met at
the anchorage off Hope Island in Georgian Bay.  They held an impromptu race;
had a terrific beach party/barbeque then sailed home. The event was given
the grandeous name "Hope Island Racing Conference".  It seemed appropriate
because it was at Hope Island, there was a little racing and a lot of
conferring about racing.

The event now draws yachts from all over the Great Lakes - the beach party
is better than ever and the racing is still fun - but now trophies are hotly
contested for under PHRF.

A couple of years ago there was a tie so a 'race-off' was called for since
there was only one trophy.  It was suggested that there should be a race-off
between the tied boats but there was a problem.  The calculating of the
results had had to wait for the officials to both attend and recover from
the evening party, so we did not know about the tie until it was too late
for anything other than some sort of sudden death event in order to decide
the winner.

After much discussion at the raft-up it was decided  that a swimming race
would be held with a champion from each boat concerned competing.  A
shouting match developed over whether the swimmers should be human or dog...
'women' were decided.  It was discovered that both boats crews contained
'grandmothers' who could swim, so grandmothers (female) were declared the
requirement.  This had great appeal because we all pictured Grannies in
bathing caps struggling in the water; we imagined the race might be made
very short and quick.

Much to the horror of the boat that produced a conventional grey-haired
grandmother, the other boat produced a 'young' grandmother who seemed sure
to win. It was demanded that proof be produced that she was truly a
grandmother.  The required child and grand child were presented.

The course was set - from the stern of the committee boat to a dinghy about
30 meters away. It looked like no contest as the two women got set.   In
they both dove... The crowd howled as the dinghy tender, agent for the
'young' grandmother's boat began rowing away to extend the race thereby
exhausting the 'conventional grandmother'.   The ploy backfired as it turned
out that  the grey haired granny was a life long competitive swimmer who
easily overtook the now madly rowing dinghy and won the trophy for her boat.

What is the point of this long story?

I hereby invite all Alberg 30's who can make it to attend this year's event
at Hope Island on the August 16-17 weekend.  Please come and participate.  I
would dearly love to meet you all and to race with you.  So far I have been
the only A30 to attend - some company would be welcome!

Anyone who is interested in more details is invited to write to me by email
or phone me at 1-866-577-5505 (toll free) during business hours.

Gord Laco
SURPRISE A30 #426