[Public-List] Icebox ice

John S. Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Sun Jun 22 16:20:13 PDT 2008

Gordon Laco wrote:
> Hello Gang -
>
> I would like to poll the mass of apres-400 liner boat A30 folks.  Here is
> the question...
>
> Where, within the ice box, do you put your blocks of ice?
>
> For the record, we use the outboard section as a bin to pile canned drinks.
> We put three blocks under the L-shaped tray and one more on top aft.
>
> Do others have strong feelings about where they put their ice?
>
> Standing by -
>
> Gord
> #426 Surprise

Not sure if she lies within your desired polling data, but since the ice
box is a project I've been working on this weekend, I'll share!  :)

Gaelic Sea is #521.

I don't have a L-shaped tray in the ice box.

I put the ice in the bottom, BUT, I've added 1" of high R rating foam
insulation (well, the highest R rating foam from Lowes) on the bottom
and all around the sides.  The block ice goes on the bottom and food
packed in around and on top, a bag or two of crushed to fill the gaps
and a mylar emergency space blanket on top of the whole works (tucked in
along the sides).

We took a 9 day trip last October in what ended up being record setting
week for temperature highs in Charleston, SC.  Day time air temps
outside the boat were mid-upper 90's until the tail end of the trip when
a cold front finally cooled things off.

Results:  We put three 6 qt home frozen blocks in on Friday along with 2
7 lb bags of crushed and all the food.  There was still block ice in the
bottom the following Friday (we had added another bags of crushed on
Tuesday and Thursday).  The cold front hit on Thursday night.

--
John
s/v Gaelic Sea