[Public-List] trip to New York

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Sun Jun 8 03:43:47 PDT 2008

  We have made the trip to NY several times, going up the Bay, through
the C&D Canal, down Delaware Bay and up to New York. The Canal has
considerable large ship traffic, but we had no trouble. We stopped
overnight at a place (can't recall the name) at the Bay end of the Canal.
Delaware Bay is unpleasant. No wind except for the occasional buster
from the northwest. Shallow and you need to stick to the
heavily-traveled buoyed channel. Try to carry the tide down.

    Going around Cape May is "interesting." If you stick too close to
the Jersey side there are tiday overfalls that roil the water quite a
bit. Stay well beyond the 10 foot line off the Cape, or take the canal
inside. I am pretty sure there is sufficient clearance under the canal
bridge for an Alberg.

    We only once tried going inside in the ICW in New Jersey and will
never do that again. Too much current and traffic. You can easily go up
outside and duck in at Atlantic City.

    Aside from taking the "back door" into Cape May Harbor, I'd never
try the ICW in NJ with an Alberg. If you can catch a northwest breeze
going down Delaware Bay after a cold front, then go up the Jersey Shore
with the prevailing southwesterly, it'll be a great sail.

NY Harbor is magnificent. We have not done it since 9/11, and I don't
know the status of the marina that was on the Hudson side of Manhattan
opposite the World Trade Center, but we stayed there, then went up the
East River the next day.  You MUST go up the east River WITH the tide,
which can run better than 8 knots.

It's a great sail.
- Gordon White, Brigadoon II