[Public-List] Correction on my Prop Question

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 13 06:28:21 PDT 2008

Richard
  One thought that I had.  If this is a Diesel then running it at anything over about 1800 RPM is excessive to me. Gas engines normally can cruise in the 2200 RPM range, actually slower is better.  I can get hull speed with my Gray Marine @ 2200 RPM. Prop is two bladed 13 x 9.

  So this Diesel should be turning slower to achieve the same hull speed.  I am not a scientist, but it seems to me that turning a prop thru the water at excessive speeds could cause cavitation and vibration?  Can a prop turning too fast rip a hole in the water so-to-speak?

  Michael C

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com wrote:
  Yesterday I asked if anybody could give me some advice for a friend
regarding prop size on his new Yanmar 3 YM20 which I believe is pretty
close to the prior model 3GM. I mistakenly indicated a 2.0x transmission
reduction gear. It is in fact a 2.21x reduction. I also neglected to
mention that he is looking for advice regarding a three blade prop. The
engine by the way is rated at 22 hp at 3,600 rpm. Thanks

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433
Mobjack Bay, VA.