[Public-List] Anchor Roller

Jonathan Adams laughing_gull at verizon.net
Tue Mar 25 18:02:26 PDT 2008

Greetings all,

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question on anchor rollers and got a bunch of responses - thanks. I went with the small approach - see pics -- http://picasaweb.google.com/jreadams6.yahoo.com/AnchorRollerAddition . I have also included pictures of Dave's boat, as no one in the e-mail thread recommended his approach - which is to put a big anchor there and put it out over one side, which clears it away from the forestay. Dave sailed in the med, so he had some deep anchoring to do and I guess wanted to sleep well.

The boat yard was very skeptical about the small roller, so I ended up doing it myself. A machine shop in Anne Arundel county north of Annapolis cut the sheet of stainless - crazy little place that Larry (fellow alberger) introduced me to. They have a sign that says $10 minimum - my kind of place when was the last time you saw that? I ended up going back and forth between boatyard and house where the grinder was to get it to fit nicely.

Anyway - next question is what do people do inside the rope locker? Mine holds water. Other than good ventilation, is there a trick to keeping it dry ? I am guessing not, but ... hoping.

Jonathan
197