[Public-List] Mast Beam Fix - other notions

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 5 08:36:25 PST 2008

Hello Bobby,

  I know that I am the Lone Ranger on this approach, but I am planning on removing my original laminated beam and re-gluing with Epoxy Resin and then reinstalling into the boat.

  My hull number is 133 and Brain Zinzer has hull number 132.  Brian's mast beam is not quite as bad as mine and he is waiting to see how my project turns out to see if he would proceed as I plan to.

  I have several reasons for attempting the repair this way.  No additional holes in the beam, original appearance, no appreciable weight added, ability to inspect the top surface of the beam for deterioration and perhaps to fill the two holes drilled into the beam for the center two mast step bolts.

  My observations have been that it is the center section of the beam, between the door jambs, that sags the most.  I have been told that the beam does not extend to and is not fastened to the hull below the gunwale, thus if/when it sags it should not push outward on the hull, at least not appreciably.  I have also been told that the beam, at least on non-liner boats, is just bolted to the bulkheads by either four or five bolts on either side of the door jambs.  There is some tabbing to the coach ceiling but that is already loose on my boat.

  The cost for this repair should be that of the Epoxy Resin = $60.00 plus my labor and perhaps new bolts for the bulkheads.

  Michael

Bobby <capricebob at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hello Fellow Albergers

Spring is approaching and I'm starting to make a list of projects for Caprice #388 and one I was entertaining was the mast beam fix. I don't think I have too much if any sagging but it looks like the beam is starting to delaminate. The aluminum plates fix designed by Bruce Rankin seems pretty straight forward although the cost for aluminum has gone up. I was recently quoted $400 for the pair plus shipping.

Another notion I had that would be relatively easy would be to install wooden supports maybe 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 and run them from the beam all the way down to the hull and just bolt them to those posts that from the door way to the front cabin. Has anyone attempted this and would this help mitigate the problem with the mast beam?

The problem I have is that I'm not sure what the potential problem is actually. Does the delamination cause sagging in the middle, pushing out the sides, both, or some other issue?

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby