[Public-List] track car slides

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 6 05:05:26 PST 2008

Thank you George for correcting me.  Nothing worse than spreading the wrong information.  My main point is that using some sort of synthetic material under the tracks would probably hold up better than wooden spacers.  Because one can't see much of it it doesn't detract from the appearance of the boat.

  Michael

George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org> wrote:
  Delrin is a DuPont trade name for an acetal plastic
(http://plastics.dupont.com/myplastics/Mediator?id=30). King plastics
is coy about what sort of polymer is used for StarBoard
(http://www.kingstarboard.com/products/StarBoard.aspx), but I believe
it's probably a high density polyethylene. Walmart doesn't seem to have
plastic cutting boards on their web site, so I can't tell what they're
made of. I would guess high density polyethylene, as polypropylene
won't hold up as well.

You can find StarBoard and generic HDPE in a variety of sizes and shapes
on eBay.

- George

Michael Connolly wrote:
> Bill,
>
> I believe that Derilin (R) is polyethylene and the Star board (R) and
> the Walmart cutting boards are polypropylene. At any rate the Walmart
> cuttings boards are $10.00 plus or minus and would provide an
> inexpensive and just as durable solution for your fix. You might
> check Bacon's or other marine surplus stores for cut offs of Star
> Board pieces at less than half the original cost for new.
>
> If you want the original look use teak wood if you would like to
> never have to address this issue again in your lifetime use the
> polyboard approach.
>
> Michael
>
> Bill Woodford wrote:
> Fellow Albergers,
>
> On US11, I have genoa tracks mounted on the rail and I have what I presume to
> be jib tracks mounted on the deck. I purchased some new blocks and track car
> slides for the jib track and find that the track car slide won’t slide onto
> the jib track because it is mounted directly against the deck with no space
> for the jib car to slide onto the track.
>
> What is the preferred method for raising the track so that the car will slide
> easily? Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
>

> Woody
> US 11

When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
I think how evening follows morn; gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
So many I loved were not yet dead, http://www.Alberg30.org
So many I love were not yet born.
'The Middle' by Ogden Nash