[Public-List] track car slides

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 06:45:02 PST 2008

Don does make a good point as always.

2 other thoughts I had. One is that the fiberglass board that rachel
mentioned is called G-10 or Garolite (if I am thinking of the same stuff).
It's basically very high fiber volume fiberglass. McMaster does sell it in
sheets, bars, tubes, and other extrusion forms. It's not cheap, but it's
great stuff. I use it for backing plates all the time and for machining
other kinds of small parts. It's dense, strong, hard, machines to a nice
finish (although it will dull your tools in a hurry), and doesn't rot.

The other is that Mike Lehman pointed out a pretty interesting product
during his Mtc. seminar talk on redoing cockpit hatches. It's called
PlasTeak which is a wood look-alike made from recycled plastic.
www.plasteak.com You might consider that. I don't know what its material
properties are but if you're into green building it might be a good
option... It's not too expensive either (especially when you compare it to
the price of real teak).

Later,