[Public-List] lightning protection & grounding plates

LDGCYBERNET at aol.com LDGCYBERNET at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 11:50:44 PST 2008

Please send to me the account, I enjoy your stories.

Larry
ldgcybernet at aol.com

In a message dated 3/6/2008 2:31:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mainstay at csolve.net writes:

Hi there  -

We sail in the upper Great Lakes - we are out in at least one  memorable
electrical storm each year.  If anyone wants to read an  account of how our
A30 coped with what we later learned were 80knt winds,  write to me off list
and I will send you the account I wrote for our club's  newsletter a couple
of years ago.

I should add to the lightening  stories I wrote earlier... Those four are the
only ones I know of first  hand in 35 years of sailing.

Gord

> Dan Landrigan  wrote:
>>    Quick question for you more experienced  sailors. What protection do
>>    you take against lighting  strikes?
>
> Clean living.
>
> A decade or more ago,  I did a lot of research into the topic.  (I was
> also researching  lightning protection for work, at the time.)  The
> biggest rub is  that to get a good ground connection to the water, you
> need two square  feet of clean copper.  Not only is this a large area,
> but it  won't be clean for long.
>
> As Gord says, people get lucky and  unlucky both ways.  Given that
> there's not sure-fire solution,  taking the easier route of doing nothing
> seemed prudent for  me.
>
> One thing you should /NOT/ do--is to ground your rig to  the
> through-hulls.  In my research I came across an incident  where this had
> been done, and a lightning strike blew out every  through-hull.  This is
> an indication that halfway measures are  likely to be worse than none at
all.

> Where are you  located?  With the exception of southern Florida,
> lightning  strikes are actually relatively uncommon in the United States.
>
> -  George

These  businesses support your  Association:
Please  support  them.
Public-List  mailing  list
Public-List at lists.alberg30.org