[Public-List] Great Lakes Sailing

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Mar 8 04:13:42 PST 2008

Good morning George -

That looks like a real doozer.

My late friend Bill, who served a whole career in the RCN from 1939 to 1968
(passed away on VE Day a few years ago) and served the later part of his
time at sea aboard weatherships off Greenland told me that an 'old timer'
told him how to guage wind speeds in squalls.

If you make your mouth into an 'O' and turn the side of your face to the
wind.  If you can feel the air being sucked out of your throat, the wind is
over 50 knts...