[Public-List] Mooring Pendants

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Mar 9 10:52:19 PDT 2008

Hi Ted -

It is not a good idea to use either chain or wire in mooring pendants (I
assume you are referring to the lines from the buoy up to your boat).

Rope of the proper size is much stronger than the wire or chain you can
handle...and will significant shock absorbing qualities.  I'd suggest using
the largest rope that will fit through your chocks and over your cleats with
the best chafe protection you can find fitted to it.  It is chafe that
causes boats to break away from moorings, most of the time.

 If you make one line a little longer than the other you will have a system
where for everyday mooring one will do all the work, the other not taking
any load unless there are extraordinary conditions.  If the working one
chafes through and breaks; you have essentially a new one un-chaffed and
ready to go.

When I kept our old boat on a mooring I always added a third line longer
than the other two to the set-up on Labour Day so that through the fall when
gales are more likely I had a plan C should the first two lines fail.

Hope that makes some sort of sense and helps you make your own choices.

Gord #426 Surprise