[Public-List] Bulkhead through companionway?

Andrew M Shaw andymshaw at juno.com
Tue Mar 11 18:18:32 PDT 2008

Thanks Hugh (and Mike),

Hmm... Well I think I tried all the possible orientations (top first,
bottom first, inboard side up, outboard side up) definitely tipped at an
angle as that seems necessary, and we removed the engine cover, steps. I
will give it one more shot tomorrow. If not I will trim some of  the IB
side off as I am planning on fitting a proper compression post that will
be rabbeted on to the bulkhead anyway.

I cut away part of the step ( I will no longer call this a floor timber
as it doesn't qualify) the bulkhead rests on and was surprised to find
not much under there. At the forward end is a 3/4" ply floor timber but
nothing directly under where the bulkhead rests except the balsa cored
step. So I'm not surprised it had caved in. I will correct this in the
repair process and transfer the load to the keel.

Wish me luck. I have to be moved back aboard by the 29th  o-: !

Cheers,
                Andy