[Public-List] Mast Beam on #116

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Fri Mar 28 15:10:58 PDT 2008

Jeff,

I'm pretty sure my mast beam is original on #221 (I bought the boat
from the original owner, he didn't change much, and what looks like the
original tabbing is still evident).

What I see different in yours is the little "brackets" that "support"
the beam where it sits on the door jambs and overhangs a bit.  My beam
overhangs but there are no brackets.

Since yours is painted I can't tell for sure how it's constructed.
Mine is a sandwich of horizontal wood laminated together.  The beam is
"bright" wood, except at the top where it is tabbed to the overhead -
in that area the tabbing is painted white along with a wee bit of the
beam wood.

In other words, it's like you made a sandwich with a whole bunch of
Kraft singles, wherein each piece of cheese spanned the width of the
boat, then you stacked them up to make the beam.  Each "slice" is
probably about 3/8" thick (estimating from a photo), and there are
4-1/2 visible slices, and probably 5-1/2" behind the paint/tabbing.

Let me know if you'd like a photo via e-mail.

Rachel
1967 Alberg 30, #221