[Public-List] Small cleats for on deck for mooring pendant

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Mon Mar 31 06:34:01 PDT 2008

Jeff,

  I have one of the "newer" boats (#526), which are slightly different than the earlier ones.

  Originally, my mooring had two pendants, so one pendant came on deck through each of my two bow chocks. This worked fairly well as far as how the boat hung on the mooring.

  I decided that I wanted to go to a single, larger pendant of the type Hamilton (& others) sell. I had recently installed a bow/anchor roller platform, and this allowed the single pendant to be led fairly over the (almost) center of the bow to the new larger cleat. I am very happy with the arrangement. It works well on the mooring, and it works well when I am anchoring.

  Previously (for 12 years) I had kept Revolution on a mooring in the northern part of the Chesapeake Bay. Currently I am in the southern part of the Chesapeake, on the eastern shore of Virginia.

  Jay

Jeffrey Fongemie <jeffrey at fongemie.com> wrote:
  Jay,

"Stem Casting" - the flat plate right at the bow where the toe rails
tie in? You've got a bow chock up there? My bow chocks are at least a
foot back mounted right on the tow rail.
I think your setup would be better, a more direct pull..and I'm
guessing the boat would "swim" less on the mooring with the pull
closer to the center.

Where are you located? Are you in Maine?

-jeff

Do you have bow chocks on

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Jay Davenport wrote:
> I have kept my boat on a mooring for many years, and I had the same issues you mention. I wanted to go to a 3/4" mooring pendant from Hamilton Marine.
>
> I decided to install a 12" aluminum Schaeffer cleat just to the right of the center of my deck, between and aft of the existing bow chocks (which I had previously moved aft as far as possible on the aluminum stem casting).
>
> The 12" cleat is lined up directly behind my bow anchor roller. I used a 12" square piece of 1/8" aluminum as a backing plate, and installed it under the forward deck with a thickened epoxy layer between the plate and the fiberglas deck. The cleat is through-bolted through the deck and backing plate.
>
> The large cleat can accept a mooring line(s), fairly led, from either of the bow chocks, or from the anchor roller. After several years of use, it has worked well, with no negative results.
>
> Jay Davenport
> Revolution, A30 #526
>

> Jeffrey Fongemie wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> anyone here put their boat on a mooring instead of a dock?
>
> I need to get setup, and noticed that the two 8 inch cleats on the
> deck can't fit much more than 1/2 inch line through them. I was
> hoping to use at least 3/4 inch line with the pendant but there's no
> way.
>
> Looks like I'll need bigger cleats, or a bollard. What have others done??
>
> -jeff
>

> --
> Jeffrey Fongemie

Jeffrey Fongemie
Internet Consulting, Website Design & Development

P.O. Box 485
Freedom, NH 03836
Tel. 603.539.1751
eFax 801.912.1692