[Public-List] Mast Beam Fix - other notions

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 6 04:44:23 PST 2008

Roger,

  Thanks for the imput.  I may try to pull a vacuum on the beam when I relaminate to help the Epoxy enter the wood and strengthen it. I will take some photos and do a write up of the process for Geroge and the Alberg 30 Archives.

  Michael

"Roger L. Kingsland" <r.kingsland at ksba.com> wrote:
  Michael,

Sounds like a great plan. I seem to recall from structures class a few
decades ago that the loads on a "simple" beam are greatest at the top, which
is under compression, and bottom, which is in tension, and, other than the
force necessary to hold the top and bottom apart, there is minimal stress in
the middle. Point being that, if you add layers of FG cloth (or even some
of that fancy carbon fiber) top and bottom after you reglue the beam (might
have to decrease the beam depth accordingly), you will probably have a beam
stronger than the original without too much additional effort.

Just a thought.

Roger 148