[Public-List] Stuffing box / terrible noise

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 11 10:27:11 PDT 2008

Speaking of the stuffing box. Last Fall, as we were motoring up the Chicago River to our winter marina, the prop started vibrating wildly at 4 knots. When we got on the hard, we discovered that we had a once Dacron rope around the shaft. It had been turned into a melted black hard rock that took me 30 minutes to cut off with a hacksaw blade. Checked the prop shaft and the play at the transmission, all apparently OK.

  Yesterday, while still out of the water, we started the engine and put the transmission in gear. Terrible noise/vibration. Checked alignment again, loosened compression rings on stuffing box, drained transmission fluid to check if metal particles in fluid (none!). Finall went to marina office to see how much to have mechanic come and observe problem as we're going downriver tomorrow. Price was right but can't look at it for two weeks. When I imitated the sound, he said "Put a drop of dish detergent on prop shaft where it exits the hull." VOILA!!!  This is such a technical hobby isn't it?

  Ed Schroeder #303

Jonathan Budington <jon at globalprinting.com> wrote:
  Turns out I just needed to tighten the packing nut. I just finished, and the shaft drips about 3 times per minute with the shaft spinning. I let it run about 5 minutes, and when I felt the nut, it wasn't too warm, so I think I'm ok. I'll check again next time I take it out. Thanks for all the advice - this was quite simple. I've just never worked down there before. Not much room, but glad I know how that whole thing works finally.

Jon