[Public-List] End of Surprise's engine troubles for now.

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun May 11 18:56:31 PDT 2008

Hi everyone.

Well here is what I hope is the end of the story of SURPRISE's engine saga
for the time being.

To recap, we were in the water last Tuesday and discovered the engine would
not start.  Confirmed carb not plugged, fuel and air OK, did spark check and
found none.  Thanks to George and several others of you I gathered up
everything required for the overdue tune-up.

Got everything in (points, condenser, plugs, cap) still nothing.  Talked
mechanic friend to come over - he checked all my work found everything OK.
We stood around frowning wondering why there was no spark.

I stuck my head in again and started looking at things and among the rat's
nest of wires noticed one black one hanging.   Said aloud 'I don't remember
this hanging here before...'  Mechanic friend stuck his head in and shouted
'try it now'.  Boom; engine started right up.  Then it died suddenly.  He
came out grinning 'some dork tore a wire off your coil.'  That must have
happened when the stuffing box was being adjusted as part of the cutlas
bearing trauma.

Five minutes later everything was fine...and I guess we needed the tune up
anyway...

Sailed SURPRISE home to summer berth Saturday - fantastic sail.  New main a
treat; all well.

Gord #426 SURPRISE