[Public-List] Holding Tank Installation

Bobby capricebob at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 05:06:36 PDT 2008

Hello,

  I installed a holding tank under the port side berth that allows the ability to store waste in a holding tank, pump it overboard (3 miles) or pump it out thru the a deck fitting.  It works great and I've lived aboard off and on for several years now - lots of.... er...reading.

  Here's Caprice's configuration:

  From the toilet, waste is pumped thru a flexible hose, thru the bulkhead to the side top of the tank.  On top of the tank, I installed two vents that are plumped to thru-hulls located right below the hull/deck joint, forward and back of the V-berth cabin on the port side.  Also, there's a access hatch that thankfully, I've never had to use.  At the side/bottom of the tank, the OUT hose is led to a Y valve behind the lower part of the cabinet.  From there, one hose goes to a pumpout deck fitting.  The other hose is led back into the head area to the left side (facing the toilet).  On that bulkhead, I installed a handpump.  From the hand pump, the hose is led under the toilet to the right side bulkhead and up to a vented loop and back down to a thru hull and seacock behind and to the right of the toilet.  The water intake is not vented (as it probably should be), but I have a sea cock that I always shut off.

  The system works great.  Everything goes into the holding tank with the option to either pump it out into the water or thru a pumpout.  When offshore, I try to pump large amounts of water thru the system to flush it out.  My only complaint now is that after four years, the expensive Sealand hoses are emitting a slight odor.  I thinking about replacing them with the very expensive Sheilds odor free hoses - which have a life-time gaurantee.

  Good luck,

  Bobby
  Caprice #388