[Public-List] Lifting Engine with Boom

Derrick Serrer cptn_derrick at yahoo.ca
Mon May 12 11:05:10 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,
  I have finally got the engine into my van and am all set to head down to Mara. Up until now I have felt fairly confident with everything I have done, but now is where my confidence fails...
  Getting the engine to the marina, down the dock and beside the boat is not my concern, lifting it into the cockpit from the dock is. What kind of loads am I putting on the rig if I use the boom as a crane to lift the 400lb engine into the boat? More importantly, can the rig handle this??? If I had replaced all standing rigging and rebuilt all of the chainplates etc I would not be as fearful, but I have only had her 1 year and to be honest have not spent a lot of time examining the rig.
  Is this a chance worth taking for simplicity sakes or should I figure out another plan? I have visions of the rig coming down, engine in the saltwater, and a few nice new ports in my neighbours boat.... :-(
  Thanks
  Derrick