[Public-List] Cetol?

pat nolan pnolan33 at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 20:13:14 PDT 2008

dear jacques

  I enjoyed the photos of your boat very much.I am very interested in your hatch as I wish
  to replace my hatch boards with something similar.Do you have any pictures that show
  more details?
  My boat Arcos was a derelict  when I bought her. Much work has been done.
  As to cetol , it doesn't seem to stand up to our Alaskan weather.I have had good
  luck with honey teak,5 years without a recoat on my previous boat , a 47 foot
  wooden beauty.     thanks.Pat sv Arcos Seward , AK

Jacques TN <jdusseault at synergem.org> wrote:
  Dear James,

We have used both varnish and cetol on Kilwinning 446. The cetol has been
far superior and with the gloss coat it has the shine of varnish. Like
everything in life it is all in the preparation. We sand down carefully to
remove all the stains. Then we do a last sanding with very light sandpaper.
Next we wipe the teak with acetone. This makes the teak stand up. Then we
apply 3 coats of Normal Cetol and then one to two coats of gloss. We
haven't had a problem with it being two reddish like the early versions of
cetol. This will last at least 3 years. We keep a small container (like a
nail polish bottle) on board for touch-ups. Have always been most
satisfied. For the interior we use varnish. We took Kilwinning south to
the Bahamas. The boat spend two seasons there. We had the sideboards
varnished and the rest (seats, etc.) cetoled. After two seasons the varnish
looked like someone had taken a torch to it while the cetol was still
effective.

Be careful to protect your fibreglass because if you let it dry on the
gelcoat it will leave a stain. We mask off areas that are adjacent to
fibreglass. You can get a look at Kilwinning at the address below. You can
see some bits of the cetol finish. Kilwinning receives a lot of
complements!

http://picasaweb.google.ca/Kilwinning1/Alberg30Kilwinning446

Jacques M. Dusseault
President