[Public-List] Standard Prop Size and Pitch

Lawrence Morris morris.lc at verizon.net
Tue May 20 19:04:04 PDT 2008

Everyone,

Thank you for your responses to my enquiry.  The reason for asking is
I have a customer with a A30 that is considering re-powering his boat
with an electric drive system.  I needed to tell the manufacturer the
existing prop size and pitch and more importantly the aperture size so
they can specify a prop that will fit the power curve of the electric
motor in the available space.

It is a really interesting system that utilizes a 24v DC electric
motor connected directly to the prop shaft with no transmission.
reverse is accomplished by reversing the polarity in the circuit.  The
motor is a little larger than a basketball and weighs approximately
50kg.   The motor will charge the battery bank by free wheeling the
prop while sailing.  Other charging options are shore power, solar and
an aux. genset.  My customer is in a marina and has shore power
available for primary needs and will add solar panels to supplement
while cruising.   The battery bank consists of a series of 8D
batteries. We are still determining how many will be required to meet
my customers needs.  more batteries the greater the range.  When we
have it all fleshed out I will share the specifications with the list.

Regards,

Larry