[Public-List] Alberg Power Consumption

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 20:21:16 PDT 2008

gee bob, my major consumption is jacke daniels.....i need to stop that.
i do know when i crank the motor it does draw more juice. yes the ww II subs did do as you stated. keep in mind that i am a simple accountant(cpa in the usa. )...not  an electrical engineer.. i have been happy with the units ability to recharge the batteries as i sail. i thought the sales hype was hype, but it does do what they said.
it looks to be a few weeks before i can get back to rascal,but when i am, i will try to run the tests you suggest.
the thoosa did get me out of mud on two occasions and has had enough thrust to keep me from smashing  my dock and fellow boaters.
my system is a 5kw.
did i say how quiet it is?

dan
Robert Kirk <isobar at bcpl.net> wrote: Dan... That'd be fascinating; please tell us more.  I'd like to know how it
turned out. My guess is, good for in-and-out, but less good for long cruising.

I would also guess that your electric propulsion could answer a question
that always intrigued me: Just how much horsepower does it take to run an
A30? There's been a lot of discussion on how much power an Atomic 4 really
puts out, and whether you need a 12HP or 15HP diesel, etc. Now we can find
out;  with an electric motor, you can measure it directly. For instance,
how many amps do you draw (and at what voltage drop) cruising at 5 Kts?
That's the true horsepower it takes to push the boat along. [My guess:
6KW].  I'd guess you have an ammeter (& voltmeter) to measure the draw in
real time, and do not need to rely on manufacturer's specs.

Also, what does she draw at full power and at, say, 2 Kts slow
cruise?  If  I remember the sea stories about WW2 submarines, they could go
2 days underwater at 2 Kts, but only a half-hour at full speed. Are you
similar?

How much battery do you carry?

Bob Kirk
Isobar 181