[Public-List] Mould Removal

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Sun May 25 17:38:29 PDT 2008

Hello John,

I used Interlux Toplac with the recommended interlux "Pre-Kote" primer underneath. Toplac is really nice paint and has a silicon additive for smoothing out the brush marks.  Interlux recommends dewaxing and sanding gell coat until it is dull and smooth. - I didn't dewax as I was killing actually three layers of old cabin paint and sanding into the FG base anyway.

First I did do extensive paint removal with a commercial grade paint remover then sanded the overhead and cabin sides to smooth up the laid surface and roving impressions etc.  Couldn't tell if there even was a gell coat on the inside. but I  sanded well into the FG surface insure ALL mold stain was gone.

Then washed the glass down with thinner and white rags, to remove spore and FG dust, paint dust etc, then painted a coat of clear cuperinol to kill any residue spore/fungi. Cuperinol is a great preservative for wood boats, as it is absorbed into the surface and kills spore in the wood.  I figured it wouldnt hurt the glass but would certainly hurt any lurking fungis. It takes a couple of days for cuperinol to dry on FG, and I washed off what would't dry ( with thinner). Any way once all that dried, I painted with the flat coat then with two coats of poly.  I like the high gloss and long lasting color - and havent had any reoccurance of mold since. ( except for the one damn spot that I missed with my second finish coat.

BTW, a light bulb or marine heater inside the boat during the winter keeps the condensation away, so I sort of went after both the causes of the mold.

Another little surprise => When I stripped the paint, I also discovered the inner portion of the cabin was NOT bonded to the deck--just the out side of the shell was molded to the deck, apparently when the builder laid up the deck/cabin in the mold.  The inside cabin joint was merely filled with auto body putty and smoothed round to match the underside of the deck.  So I ground down the inside 4 " of cabin side glass a bit and laid 4 or 5 overlapping layers of mat and roving with middle grade FG resin along both sides of the cabin/deck joint before painting. Also built up a couple of layers of 2" FG tape at the joint around the main cabin bulkhead and cabin tops and companion way.  I feel a lot more secure now than the cabin is bonded to both sides of the deck, if/when I ever do go anywhere in the boat. ie across the ocean.  + the raised FG reinforcement makes an excellent painting line with the oiled/wood bulkhead.

Coincidentally, I discovered that slops of paint remover that fell off teh ceiling onto the teak flooring actually cleaned up the old black stained wood to look like new.  So I got a brand new looking floor by accident.

Cheers,

Glenn

From: Coolray <cooler2k at yahoo.com>