[Public-List] Deck-cabin bond (Mould Removal)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun May 25 19:26:48 PDT 2008

Rachel wrote:

> On May 25, 2008, at 8:38 PM, brooks.glenn at comcast.net wrote:
>>

>> Another little surprise => When I stripped the paint, I also
>> discovered the inner portion of the cabin was NOT bonded to the
>> deck--just the out side of the shell was molded to the deck,
>> apparently when the builder laid up the deck/cabin in the mold.  The
>> inside cabin joint was merely filled with auto body putty and smoothed
>> round to match the underside of the deck....
>
> Glenn,
>
> I can't quite get my mind around what you're describing there.  But
> maybe that's because I have a first-generation boat and you have a
> "liner" boat?  Or do you have a first-generation boat and I'm just not
> getting it...?

The overhead liner on the newer boats is not structural, and is not
glassed to the cabintop.  Instead, the joint is filled with a polyester
putty at the hatches.

The lower liner that forms the sole and part of the furniture is
structural, and is glassed into place.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.