[Public-List] Deck-cabin bond (Mould Removal)

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Sun May 25 21:50:50 PDT 2008

Hi Rachel,

Dolce was built in 1968.  Well,,, maybe I glassed in the Liner that George mentioned? That would be something!   I always thought this wasnt a liner boat, because of it's age...( havnt seen another Alberg in Puget Sound so don't know what a liner actually looks like)   The cabin top appears to be all one piece. At least each place I have looked and drilled through is all one layup.  The inside ceiling of the main cabin shows roven mat covered by a layer of resin. Hard to tell if gell coat was there when new because of the paint and sanding etc.

I made a little drawing below to show the the area that I found to be filled with putty.  It  was the interior radius at the bottom edge of the vertical cabin sides where the main cabin sides meet the deck.  So when I removed the several layers of paint  I expected to find a one piece molded deck and cabin layup.  but was a bit surprised to see only the exterior of the boat ( side the would be closest to the mold when originally laid up was molded into the weather side of the deck. i.e., lay up two boards at a 90 degree angle but only with contact at their inner, adjoining edge.  if FG'd on the side where the two edges meet  the side with a 270 degree radius  would be a simple joint with a gap)

                ||  Main cabin ceiling
   Deck     ||
|=======    <- filled with putty and painted,
|                       FG only on outside, bounding deck and exterior cabin wall...

The focs'le is laid up the same way...

  :>

Glenn