[Public-List] Stuffing box

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat May 10 20:24:45 PDT 2008

Jonathan Budington wrote:
> I was on my boat Friday looking for leaks.  I've been noticing water
> in the bilge since I put my boat in about a month ago.  The bilge had
> about 4 inches of water, but I couldn't see any leaks (I had issues
> with the drain tube around the cockpit seats a few years ago).  I
> finally got on the floor and saw the problem.  My stuffing box is
> leaking a steady drip without the engine running.  I didn't have the
> right size wrenches to try to tighten the packing nut (and I've never
> done that before).  The A30 site directed me to the A37 repacking
> notes.  It says the boat should be out of the water.  I read in Good
> Old Boat that I could re-pack while in the water.  Does anyone have
> an opinion on this.  Could the packing nut just need tightening?  My
> J-30 slip neighbor told me if it was leaking while idle, the packing
> was bad.

You can repack while in the water, but you might not want to do it that
way the first time.  If you do, you might want to dive on the shaft and
wrap it on the outside to reduce the water inflow.

But I would first try tightening it.  You have nothing to lose.  If you
can't get the leak to stop that way, then you can still replace the
packing.  But if you can, then you can wait for a more convenient time.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash