[Public-List] More on lifting Alberg 30's ~ Solutions

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Nov 12 14:47:48 PST 2008

Straps should always be tied continuously from bow to stern and around the
straps once the straps have loaded up. This prevents the straps from
slipping and in a worst case the boat sliding out of the slings.

We have never had a strap slip - but it is good lifting practice, I prefer
to see 1/2 Dacron used for the tie down.

We use an I beam certified for lifting (NDT inspected and recertified
annually) and it straddles the hull thwart ships at 90 degrees to fore and
aft. The I beam is 13 feet wide keeping sheer compression loading to a
minimum. We use a 2 foot extension on the aft strap and 8 1/2 ton lift grade
shackles - the extension is a 3/4 Wire Lifting Strap 4' long placed in a
basket formation on the hook (making it 2' long and the webbing strap
shackled to the wire strap.

Do not let the strap touch the rudder post, keep it aft of the horn timber

You can resolve your keel problem however by placing several 2 x 4
thwartships to the keel raising the boat enough to allow strap placement
under the keel for lift in assuming you have adjustable screw jacks.

We've lifted roughly 5000 boats over 33 years without incident - touch wood
; )

And we don't screw around with safety - use the proper certified equipment -
yer dead a long time

Hope this is a help

ATB

John

John Birch, President - LaSalle Park Marina Association